<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/3954640?origin\x3dhttp://wuddistan.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

and then our exile

Tuesday, November 04, 2003 at 11:00 p.m.

What is really, really sad and indeed disgusting is my [well, our] reliance on little bits of metal and silicon. I spent a morning happy, engaged in delightful dicussions with a Carleton Lady and others, playing with Usman, and proving, alhamdulillah, that it is indeed possible to do the work of two weeks in one morning. (Math. which actually made some sense, relatively, today.) I literally worked at it from dawn till dusk, with a number of short(ish) breaks inbetween.
Right after Maghrib, as I tried sending off my AbsoluteValues,RadicalsAndRationalEquations exam, the computer died. As did something within me: I stared alternately at the screen and the cpu-which-was-sending-forth-scary-sounds, and felt as though I wanted to cry. Thousands of emails, hundreds of contacts, hundreds of scanned-photographs and web-pictures, all my school-notes for the past four years, 596 Megabytes of downloaded (OFF DIALUP) listening pleasure--is it possible that all these are *gone*? Let alone my math exam, which was the work of three intense hours. Alas! and lack-a-day! The world is now minus one computer.
^_^

Afterwards, at taraweeh, though, things began once more to look up. As of today, Babaji's in i'tikaaf. Tomorrow: two exams. Keep the roof raised for me while I grackle. I shall join you momentarily.
In the interim, sleep. Blessed sleep.